Monday, December 24, 2001

My apologies to those who have heard this rant before...

I have an "itch" to do an "Endgame" coda. I admit, I'm probably one of the five people on the planet who did like "Endgame" to an extent - mostly for the P/T parts. C/7 doesn't irk me as much as it irks other people, as I never was a strong J/Cer to begin with (having not seen "Resolutions" and "Coda" until after "Endgame''), but what did irk me was the lack of build-up to the relationship. You can't just put two disparate personalities together after they didn't do so much as exchange a handshake or share an omelet and all of a sudden, it's like, "huh?" But that's neither here nor there, but it's relevant, as it has to do with my story.

The other thing that really irked me about "Endgame" was Janeway's motive for going back to change history. Why is Seven so dang important that she's the reason Janeway has to go back? Why not a couple months before when poor Carey came back only to be knocked off. I'm sorry, but Janeway is a much more reasonable and intelligent person than that - she's not going to go back for Seven, unless all of those J/7 writers were really onto something (which, btw, in the right hands - namely, Kelly's -, is a pairing I do enjoy).

I also didn't like the insinuation that Chakotay was never the same after Seven's death. What's that all about? Did he just do one of those fanficky things where he curled up on his bed and just never got up again? Irksome. Chakotay, mho, is not the type to wallow in self-pity. Sure, he can get depressed and yes, he's probably more introspective and feels more deeply than some of the other VOY characters, but it just sounded so... off to me.

Anyway, back to the story idea. The above points, mho, are my biggest nitpicks with the episode. They just didn't feel right. Not to mention, the ending was anticlimatic ("Look, kids, there's Earth!" - kudos to anyone who gets the reference). So, I think I've got to fix it. I've got to figure out why C/7 other than Biller's Marty Stu-ish fantasies and why Seven in general. And what the heck happened to Chakotay anyway? That's a whole mountain of regret Janeway - who, in general, has self-imposed martyrish tendencies - is carrying around - but in "Endgame," she's practically unhinged. Bleech. Not the way I want to remember the first (and probably only, thank goodness) female captain. She deserved much, much better than what TPTB did to her. And if this is how they write a "strong, capable" woman, then well, it's best we end up with Jonathon "John Wayne" Archer instead, right?

Okay, so maybe I didn't like "Endgame" that much. The P/T parts were good though.

No comments: