Monday, July 08, 2002

Ode to Liz

So I told Liz today that she deserves to be publicly immortalized in the blog as a sweetie. She always knows the right things to say and tonight she said exactly the right thing. And it's not the first time she's been there for me.

She was 'there' when my cousin's wife suddenly passed away four years ago and I was brand new to Texas - lonely, scared and very, very sad. It was so strange to me that a person I had never met - whom I mostly just exchanged emails with about DS9 and upcoming fic - cared how I was doing during that first, long, hot summer. She, Florchi and a real life friend of mine from college, Sarah, got me through those first months - and I'm forever grateful for their help.

Liz and I have been through a lot together, I think. Good fic, bad fic (one joint collaboration - which neither of us likes), betas, and strange IMs (and I mean strange). Sometimes, strange drawings showed up in my inbox or in my snail mail - we have the same warped sense of humor, which makes these drawings pretty special as they come out something very strange. Not to mention, for a long time, she was the only person reading my fic and encouraging me to hang in there. Even when I came close to retiring, somehow Liz managed to talk me out of it. Not to mention, she is the original "dance" queen as well - trust me, she has a dance for every occasion.

So, yeah, sappy blog entry, but I'm in a sappy mood. Plus, something has to be said for someone who has put up with your writing for over four years.

No comments: