Sunday, July 13, 2003

The problem with driving all night is that it makes the morning hurt that much more. We left B/CS an hour later than expected and ended up back here around 2 am. The drive was fine; I know that road like the back of my hand and I was wide-awake, due to having gone out for coffee with R halfway through the graduation party.

I've selected a few writing samples for tomorrow's interview. I realize, rereading some of my clips, that my penchant for snarkiness is not new. It also seems that everything I wrote that wasn't a weekend feature story sounds amazingly alike. "Look, another Seema book review!" "Whoa, another Seema concert review!" "Hey, it's Seema and art galleries again. Who wouldva thunk it?" My editorials are occasionally amusing, but I don't use those as clips simply because they express an opinion or if not an opinion, are high on the snark quotient. I reread my 'farewell' editorial, the last official one I wrote, and in retrospect, it reads like I'm scolding the readers. Bothersome, yes. I'm aware that my humor can be an issue for people who don't know me; hence, I can come across plenty humorless and reserved. It's a heck of a lot better than offending people, I think.

No comments: