Monday, July 14, 2003

First interview down. One more to go. I have just enough time to change my suit (it's very, very hot here -- it's impossible to wear the same clothes in the morning as you're wearing in the evening) and shoes, grab a quick lunch and hit the road for interview number two. I'm already slightly panicky about the fact that I'll be hitting the other city at rush hour and it's known for having some of the worst traffic in the country.

The first interview was a marketing analyst position and it's very quantitative which I like. I interviewed with the VP of marketing and she brought up my heavy writing experience since before I worked for Big Insurance Company, I worked for two newspapers. I sidestepped the question by saying that when I was writing for the newspapers, I wasn't really writing for fun. Also, my four years at Big Insurance Company are reflective of the fact that I've moved out of journalism entirely and don't really intend to be back. I think the interview went okay. They say they'll let me know by the end of this week. I'm not going to think too much about it. I've been disappointed so many times, I'm not going to really hold my breath. At least, I did get an interview.

I'm not that excited about this second interview in Big City to the South East because I really don't want to get back into reporting/editing and I don't really want to live in that city and it's a trade publication for an industry that bored me to tears last night when I was reading it. Of course, it could very well be different if I get the job and actually am in the middle of things. I never thought I'd be interested in insurance, but there you have it. I can talk LTC and Life to anyone who'll stand still for 5 seconds. But it's an interview and I need to give it my best shot for that reason.

I talked to Rocky this morning. I arrived for my interview about 40 minutes early, so I sat out in the car (under a tree -- I'm not completely idiotic) and called her up. As always, could have talked longer, but it was soon a few minutes to 10 and I had to go. And speaking of going, here go I.

No comments: