Friday, July 04, 2003

Happy Fourth of July to all! Hope it was a good holiday. I did absolutely nothing today. Well, tried to hang curtains and all that proves is that while I can certainly pick them, there isn't an artistically domestic bone in my body. So the curtains are half on the rod, half sagging down and I keep looking at the picture on the package and wonder why my curtains don't look that pretty. For those of you wondering, these are white scarf curtains with purple leaves scattered on it and according to the picture on the package, they are supposed to drape elegantly on the curtain rod. Some elegance was achieved with the help of rubber bands and scotch tape, but it's still rather dismal looking.

I ended up going downtown to see the fireworks. In five years, this is actually the first time I've gone downtown. Once I watched from the mall and most years I skip it. I have very little patience for big crowds of people, where stupidity seems to reign supreme and so I typically skip such gatherings. But after my plans for the evening fell through (for reasons I'm still rather upset about but will deal with not in this blog), I decided to head downtown for Plan B. It was nice to see the fireworks up close, though I was hoping we'd hear the symphony also. The crowd was very well-behaved (except for the scary people hopping into their car with lots of alcohol -- didn't want to be anywhere near them). I was enchanted by a pair of twins who were just absolutely adorable and wonderful.

I had a long post in mind about Internet and friendship, but that'll have to wait another day. I'm currently about 50 pages from the end of a highly taut and suspenseful novel by Richard North Patterson that I intend to finish tonight. Watch this space for a bookreview shortly.

No comments: