Sunday, October 13, 2002

Yet Another Fic Survey

This one gacked from the P/T Collective. Slightly edited here from my answers over there.

Of your own written works, which story is your favorite?

This changes on a daily basis, but I'll just go with my favorite P/T one, which would be 100 Days. I wrote that in a weekend, I think, and then did the unspeakable by not consulting my beta when I posted it because it just felt perfect (even though it did have errors and typos throughout). It just felt wonderful as I was writing and I could almost hear Tom and B'Elanna whispering in my ear during the entire writing process.

What story are you the most proud of?

Eh, another hard one. I'll go with Stay here because that was one of those stories that really had the potential to fall into the traps that were mentioned in another thread here - a difficult B'Elanna, Tom putting up with her moods, etc - but I think it worked in the end. I think.

What story was the most challenging?

Lines in the Sand. My head still spins thinking about it. Present tense, first person, written in four alternating POVs (what was I thinking?), not to mention alternating timelines - past and present. And I was writing scenes out of order so I was constantly getting whiplash trying to keep track of who was where and why and when and how. I didn't set out to write a novel, but it happened and by the time I got to page 300, I had no idea what had happened on page 5. I still marvel that I even finished this story.

What story did you think sucked big time, but everyone else liked it?

All of them? Honestly, I'm just surprised when anyone likes any of the stories. The worst offender here would be a bunch of my first DS9 stories which really, really sucked, (Liz, I can see you nodding in agreement ;-)) but because there were only about 2 other W/D stories out there, they were popular ::grin::. But if I had to pick a VOY one, it would have to be Exhale, a "Unimatrix Zero II" coda and gak, so choppy, so incoherent and without a point and I'm highly embarassed that I even posted it.



No comments: