Saturday, August 03, 2002

They're doing a 70s and 80s weekend on the radio. Which is very cool, because I absolutely love 80s music. The radio station I used to listen to before I moved had a "Friday Retro Rush Hour" - in other words, commercial free 80s music between 5 and 6 pm. The way they said "retro" always made me feel sooo old.

I keep thinking that the 80s weren't so long ago and then when I'm surfing along, I realize that there are people online for whom Britney Spears or the Spice Girls are the definition of Grrrl Power (and speaking of "grrrl" - when did it become cool to leave out the "i"? Doesn't proper spelling count for anything anymore?).

I do miss the good ol' days - when we had real girl bands, not these "put together on television for ratings" deals. Remember the Bangles? The Go-Gos? Bananarama? Expose? I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for the Go-Gos these days - I do have the "Best of Belinda Carlisle" on CD, but it's not quite the same. There was an infectious happy-go-lucky beat in the 80s, not so much angst - which made it so fun to listen to.

No comments: