Friday, August 30, 2002

Lazy, hazy days

So in a sense I've gone from doing absolutely nothing to doing lots and lots of things. Which is very strange. Last week, I was practically bouncing off the walls trying to find something to do. The internet can only be amusing for so long - I have the attention span of about an hour per session and then I need to go do something else. But anyway, mucho busy these last couple days and the weekend will probably be hectic as well. Classes start on Monday - we must be the only university that actually ignores the fact that Labor Day exists. I only have one class so it's all good and generally easy to get back into the swing of things. I noticed that Lori has already started and has discovered some of the joys of going back to school. Hang in there - it gets better, trust me.

I've got a crack in my windshield that I need to go take care of today, thanks to errant flying projectile that came off of a truck. I'm afraid that it's longer than six inches - six inches or less means that the crack can be repaired and hence, fully covered by insurance, with no out-of-pocket expenses for me. Longer than six inches means new windshield, in which case I have to pay up to my deductible. So not happy about that. My car seems to instinctively know when I can't necessarily afford the repairs. For instance, last summer, had to get two new tires ($250). Then in the fall, someone hit me in the parking lot, so luckily that was covered under Uninsured Motorists, so I only had to pay the deductible on $1600 worth of damage. But still. And now the windshield.

This reminds me of my cousin who last year wanted a car of his own. It was pretty funny because he really didn't see much to car ownership other than putting in the gas. I mentioned oil changes to him and his eyes glazed over. I mentioned monthly payments and how much it hurt to write out that cheque every month. Then comes insurance and random repairs. And he doesn't have a job. So I asked him, "You're going to pay for this car with what money?" And his response was, once he got a car, he would get a job. I suggested that he got the job first and then get the car, but he insisted on the car first. It was truly circular logic. I also pointed out to him (in my capacity as an employee for an insurance company) that he was under the age of 25 (he was 16 at the time), not married, and living in a city that has very, very high insurance rates. Off the top of my head, I quoted him $3000 a year for insurance for an older model Japanese vehicle. His response? "That's all?"

Kids.

No comments: