Wednesday, February 27, 2002

What Was I Thinking Again?

Okay, so I wasn't thinking when I decided I needed to make a great, big change in my life and give up the very comfortable and luxurious existence I'd gotten used to. No, was not thinking when I went back to apartment dwelling and back to a wardrobe of jeans and heavy sweatshirts. Was really not thinking when I was pacing my apartment yesterday memorizing lists and formulas in bulk. Nope, somehow forgot about the fact that my life wouldn't belong to me at the moment I said, "I need a change. Maybe an MBA will be fun." Fun?

Incidentally, when I participated in a recruiting event last week, I actually had an admittee on the phone who asked me, "Do y'all have fun down there?"

And I said, straight-faced, "Sure we do. Happy hours every Thursday night, coffee breaks Saturday nights, and lunch in groups pretty much every day. We have lots of fun."

And then she asked, "So do you have a lot of work?"

And I said, straight-faced, "I can usually get it done by 10 pm every night. And I work as well."

Do you think I'm going to get smote (smited?) now for being sooo... well, not truthful? The best part of it was this was the last phone call of the evening and both Dayna (the Academic Advisor) and Brenda (a second year) were listening to me talk and Brenda's eyes were growing wider by the second.

"What program are you in?" Brenda asked me while Dayna complimented me on my time management skills.

Anyway, what brought this all one. One midterm down, four to go. This was the easiest one and I have to say, I was absolutely crushed to find out that I had blanked completely on the components of the marketing concept - and then walked out to see the prof right outside the door. He was like, "You're my marketing major, I bet you aced this one, didn't you?"

And I had to say no, because I did not know what the marketing concept was so I guessed. And he just stared at me mournfully and said, "But Berkowitz was your professor!"

I think it's really, really scary that my professor here knows my undergrad advisor from up there. I have this scary image of my prof calling Berkowitz up and saying, "Do you know that Seema left your institution without knowing what the marketing concept was?"

In my defense, I wasn't the only one who blanked on the marketing concept. More oft than not, if someone fell apart on the exam, it was because of that obscure marketing concept. Six parts - a list - but unfortunately, not one of the 80 million lists I memorized.
But in general, I think I did pretty well and I think my team's position paper on marketing the VW Beetle in South Africa was well-done as well. If anyone wants to know anything about the South African economy, I'm your gal as that was my section of the paper.

Now, next stop, Finance, where the class's goal is simply to surve it...

No comments: