Monday, February 18, 2002

Lots of things happened today. I can't even think of where to start or what to say. I've got a serious case of fatigue right now, so I'm not even sure if I'm thinking clearly, but in highlights:

K told me she and her husband are separating. We stood out on the hall and it was just awkward in some ways, because she was crying on my shoulder and all of these people are walking by. I just didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything at all except to just pat her on the back and tell her I was free for coffee if she needed someone to listen. I mean, where do you even start on something like this?

And honestly, it came out of nowhere. I was joking around with M before class as usual, and K came in and without so much as a hello, she put her bag down, looked at me and said: "My husband and I are separating." A second later, the tears came and I was thinking, "Oh my God, why did she pick me?" And the only thing I could do was push her out into the hall, away from all of these people, and I really, really hope I didn't say something stupid.

Second thing, email from the program office. We're officially a "team in trouble." That was the subject header and I just stared at it, kind of like, "where did that come from?" Last time KD and I spoke, we had agreed to handle this ourselves, to deal with each situation individually, so I have no idea who filed the complaint. G called just a few minutes ago to find out what I knew about it and I was honest with him, but again, I knew nothing. I have my suspicions that KD may have complained today but I don't think she wuld have done that without telling me.

It will be an interesting meeting - we've been asked to be absolutely candid and that's a big mistake, because I really think it will end up being a dump session on G - and honestly, he has messed up, but I'm confident we can fix this, I really am, without dragging the program folks into it. I'm also nervous because last semester I scheduled a meeting with the Director re team trouble because of that problem with Dennis. The end result of that meeting was that Dennis got booted off the team and out of the program. I can only imagine what they were thinking when they saw my name again - they probably think I'm hard to get along with it.

Finally, talked to my boss this morning about this summer. He told me not to worry - I will have a job. As he said, "You have to have a way to pay for that trip!" and so I feel much better. I was considering moving to another apartment in the next town over to save on rent so not to dig into my savings anymore than I have to - even a graduate assistainship wouldn't cover my monthly bills. Yes, I'm spoiled, but I'm very grateful to my employer for keeping me around so I can continue to live in the state of luxury I'm used to :-) Well, sort of. Anyway, so that was a good conversation to have.

No comments: