Wednesday, February 13, 2002

I'm really way too depressed about figure skating to make any more prediction. In a private email, I had predicted the men's results pre-short program with Yagudin taking the gold, the silver going to Abt and the bronze to Plushenko. I hadn't even considered the Americans or the Japanese - the Russians are a force unto themselves. Elvis and Todd Eldridge, I considered a long shot - great skaters, but a long shot. Anyway, I was wrong - only Yagudin is in medaling contention right now. Timothy Goebbels has the chance to medal and a figure skater from Japan is in second place. I can at least say the judging was fair, but I did feel for Elvis and Todd when their marks flashed up - it must be rough to be in the high fours and low fives. I wouldn't be surprised though, if Plushenko turns in a solid performance, Goebbels will be out of contention - even if Goebbels skates just as cleanly.

Ice-dancing, I'm not even going to touch.

No comments: