Monday, February 11, 2002

Okay, my predictions for pairs skating tonight and this is really optimistic, but I'm going to give the Gold to:

Sale and Pelletier!

Yes, I have confidence in the Canadians! They are more lively, more energetic and have good technique. I think with the amount of speed they have, they can topple the Russians. Plus, everyone wants the Russians to be toppled - you've got to add the element of bias (What? Bias in figure skating? You don't say!). So yes, if Sale and Pelletier skate cleanly - and they should - then the gold is there.

So about those Russians. Yes, I think if it came down to a tie between the two, the Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze will carry the day in terms of their artistry. They simply flow across the ice and have deeper and longer lines and edges than the Canadians. But when it comes to pressure situations, this pair doesn't really make it through without a bobble or two. Hence, I award them the Silver.

The Bronze, I give to the Chinese pair - Zhue and Hongbo. Yes, they have more speed and more energy than Sale and Pelletier and their jumps are simply huge. However, their spins aren't centered (watch how they travel when they spin) and they are lacking in the artistic component. However, they are solid and should take the Bronze. Only major mistakes by the Russians and Canadians will give the Chinese the opportunity to move to Silver or Gold.

Remember - the pair which wins the long program wins the gold, so the field is really wide open.

Now, off to Accounting study group so I can be home in front of the television in time to see how off/on I was with these predictions!

No comments: