Saturday, September 24, 2005

Home sweet home

I decided to return home sooner rather than later, as traffic is starting to pick up and I had no desire to spend 12 hours in traffic just to travel 20 miles. I did run into some back-ups trying to get onto the freeway, and heading east, there was some traffic, but it eased up as I got closer into the downtown area. Damage is minimal and I saw a lot of damaged billboards and downed trees. Signs also had been blown off their poles.

At my apartment, it doesn't look like we ever lost power; my microwave clock isn't blinking. However, there are downed trees on the properties. I wasn't particularly worried about my windows, as they face south and the winds were coming from the north, but even so, I didn't see any shattered glass, though in downtown -- less than a mile from where I am -- some buildings did have their windows blown out.

A evacuee return plan has been set into motion. I decided it didn't apply to me because I never left the city limits (g), but it'll be interesting to see if people trying to return are turned back. I doubt it. However, it's quite the gamble as there's very little in the way of supplies in the city or along the routes into the city.

In the meantime, I have a lot of work in my apartment to put it back to pre-hurricane condition. Furniture needs to be moved back into their regular places, tape removed from windows, etc. I have, obviously, plugged everything back in and removed all the plastic coverings from all the electronics. I think I'm going to wait another 24 hours or so to drain the bathtub, simply because I heard one coastal city -- in its attempt to get back into shape -- lost power and residents were suddenly without water. Little by little, I'll get this place back into order.

But first, a nap (g).

No comments: