Thursday, September 22, 2005

Beautiful day

It's hot out, as I've mentioned before, but there are no clouds in the sky and the sun is bright. It seems impossible to imagine a hurricane coming our way, when you look out the window. Around my complex, it's incredibly quiet and calm. The heat is heavy, stifling, and there is absolute no movement in the air.

I just walked out into the parking garage. There are tons of cars parked, but very few signs of life. I saw a empty box labeled "Ozarka" by the trash bin, so obviously there's at least someone else out there planning on hunkering down. I also met a couple two buildings down who plan on staying, saying they don't think there's anywhere safer than where we are right now.

I'm really tired. I keep trying to sleep, but I can't. Sometimes the phone wakes me, other times it's my neighbor listening to the news, and earlier in the day, someone was moving things around. Even if I could get out, I no longer trust my ability to stay awake or make coherent decisions. I'm indecisive under the best of circumstances and while I'm prepared here, I'm torn between the relative safety of my apartment versus heading to either my uncle's or my friend's place -- for their company.

No comments: