Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bedtime update

I'm getting ready for bed now and we'll see what the morning brings. I'm feeling a bit of relief as a friend of mine has stopped after 24 hours on the road -- covering probably between 75 to 90 miles during that time -- and her parents are starting out from Big City to the West to bring her the rest of the way. So at least there's some sense she'll get home, but who knows? I'm still waiting to hear from another friend of mine. Last contact was around 4 or 5 pm, and I don't know where they are now. Another friend, calling from Florida, was unable to reach them.

The freeway dramas are amazing. People in their cars, running out of gas, breaking down in the heat, and just taking hours to cover as few as 3-6 miles. I can't even imagine the stress those people must be enduring, not to mention the panic they must be feeling -- the outer bands of the storm are nearing the shore.

The picture on my television is starting to pixelate, like it does during heavy thundershowers (or when someone looks at the satellite wrong). I imagine this means the winds are picking up. When I walked out into the parking garage about 40 minutes ago, I didn't feel any wind; the air was still and heavy. However, if the winds are going to start kicking up in the morning, I don't know how much longer I'll have internet access and power. Telephone service is already sketchy in this area due to overloaded circuits (my phone has been ringing off the hook from since about 5:45 am, for example).

In the morning, when I can think again, I'll start making decisions about whether I'm going to stay here or make a move to my uncle's place. Either way, I'll be here for landfall-- something not originally in the plans, but what can I say except mice and men?

No comments: