Monday, December 16, 2002

My Christmas Wish List

The things I would like for Christmas. If you were thinking of getting me something, that is. I'd ask you not to, please. I've gotten to a point in my life where 'things' no longer make me happy (well, except for warm socks - I will never turn down a pair of socks). 'Things' do not compare to good health, family and friends. I already have more Parker, Cross and Waterman pens than I know what to do with. My bookshelves are overflowing, my closet is stuffed with clothes I rarely wear. I listen to the same CDs over and over again - don't need anymore. So, if I'm on your Christmas list, these are the things I ask for this year:

  • Become registered with the American Bone Donor Registry or your country's registry. Please. It takes literally 15 minutes of your time and it's less than two vials of blood. You could save a life. Especially if you're a member of a minority group - minorities are underrepresented in the Donor Bank. So please, if you're between the ages of 18 and 60, consider become a registered member.
  • Talk to your family about becoming an organ donor. Twenty thousand people die every year while waiting for a transplant. Consider that by becoming an organ donor, there is the possibility of improving the quality of life for up to 50 people.
  • Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. It's a wonderful opportunity to give back to the community and to help build something that is long-lasting and permanent contribution. And all for just 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday morning.
  • December isn't the only time to be generous of spirit, time and money. Another month works just as well, if not better.
  • Check all of the batteries in your smoke alarms. And while you're at it, invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
  • Do something nice and unexpected for someone you care about. Take them out to lunch, make them cookies, clean up, etc.
  • When driving, stop to let pedestrians cross the street. Yield the right of way.


These are the things I ask for.

No comments: