Friday, December 13, 2002

The 2002 ASC Awards FAQ is available for comment on a newsgroup near you. Check it out. Please note, you have until January 31st at 11:59 pm to post a story in order to be eligible for this year's Awards.

And now for a rather sanctimonious rant from the soapbox...

And sometime I've been pondering - why is it some people simply don't respond to FB? Why don't they acknowledge they received it? There are several people whom I've sent FB to and I have no idea if they ever got the FB. The first time, I don't think much of it. I figure the FB got lost , but multiple times? I stop FBing. I think there are 2 or 3 authors out there whom I no longer FB, regardless of how much I like their stories because I figure that they don't necessarily care that I read their story or for some reason the FB never gets to them, so I don't see the reason why I should take time to FB them, when I have plenty of other wonderful authors (Lori!) whom I should be reading and FBing instead.

It's a lot like thank you notes. It's fun getting gifts for birthday parties, weddings, graduations, etc, but it's no fun writing the thank you notes afterwards. But never underestimate how important that thank you note is in terms of public relations with the person who gave you the gift in the first place. No one needs to give anyone else a gift - it's not a 'required' thing (okay, maybe some situations require a gift) but someone went out of their way to pick something out, wrap it up and then bring it. That deserves acknowledgement, regardless of personal feelings towards the gift in question. So many people don't write thank you notes these days and that's really sad. But then I've always been a bit on the prim side when it comes to thank you notes; my guests are barely out the door before I've sat down to write them all acknowledgements. Trust me. If you don't do a thank you note, people will notice the omission more than they'll notice the acknowledgement.

And now, back to the books. I think another couple hours on strategy and I'm going to have to be done with the subject (My favorite part of the book is in the last chapter where it tells me that if I just follow the strategies written in the book, I can be an effective CEO. Who knew that after reading that book, I now have the potential to be another Jack Welch or Lee Iaccoca or Jaques Nasser or Lou Gerstner?).

No comments: