Friday, December 14, 2001

Whenever you develop a deep emotional attachment to a story for whatever reason, it's so hard to post it and let others look at it. It's so like that "stories are like children" thing Christine was talking about the other day. So I finally did it. "All Things" is out there in the great cyberland and I feel, well, I don't know I feel. I finished this story back in March and it never feels quite right to me, and I keep tinkering. Changing a word here, changing a phrase there. It's one of those stories, in my mind, which will never be complete. But I still adore it - is it wrong for an author to love a story so much? I know that this will not be a popular story, not at all. It will probably join all my other DS9 stories in the Great Unread Beyond, but it's a story I wanted to write and now that it's out there, no longer on my hard drive, I feel a little lonely.

Part of is the sadness is that other than my Kira story, "Blink," I have no more DS9 stories on my hard drive. Nor do I have any ideas. It was one thing to crossover to Voyager while I was still firmly entrenched in DS9, but now, I only have Voyager stories in my head and the DS9 stories are far and few between... well, now it truly feels wrong and like a betrayal. Kind of like, "Honey, I've been seeing another fandom..."

Maybe what I need to do is write that Lori fic.

No comments: