Tuesday, December 04, 2001

Santa and I had a talk today. It was the office party and in a quiet moment, between kids and sittings, Santa asked if I wanted a picture.

It's been years since Santa and I have talked and so I said sure. I'm a big girl, but boy, it felt good to sit in Santa's lap. Even if I did know who he really was.

Santa asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said stupidly, "World peace."

And he asked, "What else?" And I couldn't think of anything at all other than "world peace."

Anyway, we talked a little bit and he said finally, "Okay, if you insist, world peace."

I had to smile. And then he said, "But it doesn't seem very likely right now, does it?"

"No," I said. "It doesn't. Things get worse every day."

"How about peace in the heart?" he asked. "You can do that, can't you?"

I nodded. And Santa went on, "You won't get anywhere without peace in the heart."

His comment reminded me of something my mother once said, that she thought I should go to one of those ashrams where you are alone and quite for a week. She said maybe the peace would be good for me. I still think about that quiet place on occasion and whether it's still there and whether I should go.

Anyway, I can't disagree with Santa. He's got a point.

So that's what I want for Christmas this year. Peace of the heart.

No comments: