Thursday, December 27, 2001

I'm so incredibly happy to report that I worked on "Fugue" today. Granted, it's just a few paragraphs, but it's a start. I'm still trying to get the 'voice' right - the problem with going with a particular style (first person, present tense - only because all the 'good' writers said it couldn't be done, and I'm contrary and wanted to try it anyway) is that it's so hard to recapture the original voice of the story. But I figure if I sketch in from where I am to where I want part I to end, then I can go back and edit it enough to get the tone right. Worse comes to worse, I'll just edit from the beginning to bring everything back into line. I think the important thing is that I did go back to it and it was a little like dipping the toes into cold water. Hopefully next week, I'll be able to dive right back in completely, as soon as I get that other fic out of the way. I'm happy to report that after a marathon sesson, I'm about 85 percent complete my portion of that fic, so I feel really good about that. It's still very thin and I acknowledge, not my best effort, but if I get time this weekend, I'll flesh it out more.

No comments: