Thursday, June 09, 2005

True confessions

When I was 10 years old, I developed my first actor crush. I fell hard, oh so hard, for Tom Cruise. Even at 10, I recognized the power of a twinkle in the eye, a dimple at the edge of pouty lips, and nicely tanned six pack -- lightly glazed with non-smelly perspiration, of course (at least, in my fantasy world). It didn't matter to me he was short, because he was and would always be several inches taller than me. Thanks to Tom Cruise, I developed a lasting appreciation for beach volleyball* and leather jackets, and oh those Navy dress whites.

I stood in line to see "Jerry Maguire" for three hours on opening night, because heaven forbid I wait 24 hours to see my One True Crush. FG gave me a poster book of Tom pictures for my birthday. When Tom and Nicole announced their divorce, KC immediately emailed me and said, "Tom's free! Time to make your move!" By now you're all probably thinking I'm pathetic, but at some point -- maybe around "Vanilla Sky"? -- Tom started to lose his sheen, for no particular reason other than I was no longer 10 years old, and reality and fantasy are two very distinct things and it's hard work crushing on an actor when you actually know nothing about them except, Wow, CUTE SMILE. When I see those pictures of him jumping up and down on Oprah's couch, I think: how could I have possibly crushed on someone so freakin' weird?

LoTD: Free Katie!

* Top Gun's beach volleyball scene has got to be one of the best scenes ever. Boys of Summer indeed.

No comments: