Wednesday, April 23, 2003

In which I become utterly shallow and random due to intense brain fatigue

Memorization hurts my brain. I think I memorized nine or ten lists this morning and gave up towards the end. There's some stuff on arbitration and mediation that's kind of a vague fog in my brain - something about mediation being better than arbitration and not wanting to use a third-party negotiation unless there's a major impasse and heated confrontation. That's all I know so it better not be on the test. I've been assured by a couple of friends in the Monday class that the test isn't hard and that rereading lecture readings will be sufficient. I've read the lecture readings three times now, my class notes once, and memorized the majority of the lists. My brain is so broken at this point. I'm playing on the computer in an effort to relax a little but as time passes, I think the memorization is evaporating from my head. But, this is the second to last final of my academic career. The other is take-home for Cheerleader Prof.

Speaking of Cheerleader Prof, I got out of wearing a suit for Thursday's presentation by claiming weight gain and inability to fit into my suit. Which, as my friend V pointed out, that's a blatant lie. Well, it depends which suit is in question - one is a bit tighter than the rest but still looks cute. I'm just not in the mood to wear high heels on campus; my feet have barely recovered from that last miserable trudge around campus and I wanted to wear sandals instead and my sandals don't go with my suits (yes, I know, whine, whine, whine). So anyway, I asked Cheerleader Prof since my suit was tight (Ha! said V), could I wear a dress instead? She said that that was fine. Mind you, the dress is very nice and business (black sheath, for those of you interested), the main difference being I won't have to wear hose with it and I can wear the nice sandals instead which don't hurt my feet. And if it rains, I can wear nice slacks and blouse and a black cardigan and the nice, comfortable high heels instead of the Evil!Blue heels. Ya know, these things do matter when you have to walk at least a mile in those shoes on very attractive - but slippery - pebbled walkways.

The only other news in my life is that I plan to make a post office run sometime this week. I was going to do it last week, but I have two packages to mail - one to Liz Barr and the other to a friend of mine in Massachusetts. I'd lost the latter's address and so she didn't email it to me until this week (and I couldn't say, "Hurry! It's your birthday present that's coming!").

Also, almost finished "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving. I should have a review of that book eventually. It's taking me forever to read and now that I'm almost through, I'm starting to understand why The Other Liz liked it. At first I was incredulous, trying to figure out why this book was so popular and why it had been made into an Academy Award nominated picture. Now that I'm starting to understand the style, I like it a lot better.

No comments: