Saturday, November 02, 2002

I just got back from my NaNoWriMo meeting. It was interesting, 7 people showed and apparently more were supposed to come. It was fun to meet other writers - a few already panicky about the task in front of us.

The organizer of the group was saying that she had just written a long, long fanfic and I nearly fell out of my seat. She was talking about fanfic in public? When I found my voice, I asked her what fandom and she said Angel/BtVS, and I was just amazed that she was so open about talking about this in a group of people. I mentioned I was a ficcer, but I didn't mention what fandom(s) - not that brave, even though this looked like a cool, interesting group of people.

The other members of the group all seemed to be involved in sci-fi and fantasy-type with a couple of romance writers. One person is working on her second novel; she's already been published. A bunch of them had done this last year and this is their second go-around.

One guy pointed out that we could finish the novel in 30 days if we wrote one word every 51 seconds. I'm particular to the 1667 words a day method myself. Anyway, it was interesting to get there and meet some new people and not have to talk about value-added propositions and EBITA.

No comments: