Monday, November 12, 2001

Dysfunction has set in again. One minute, I was watching Katie Couric interview the adorable actor who plays Harry Potter in the upcoming movie and the next moment, the shot of Queens comes up, with billowing smoke in the distance. Another plane has crashed. And honestly, I just sat there riveted for about fifteen minutes, wondering when they were going to say something else had happened. I emailed Bryan instantly, because he lives in Queens, and I don't know how close Rockaway is to Bayside, but still, the concern is very much there. I also had to change my plans for the day. I had planned to work from home in the morning, go to class and then head into the office for the afternoon, but then within 15 minutes, I decided to go into work in the morning and then work from home in the afternoon when more details would be known and I wouldn't feel the need to watch every single second as it unfolded. However, it's amazing how raw the events of September 11 still are and I'm almost ashamed to say that as I drove here, I was absolutely terrified. So much for bravado, so much for getting on a plane, so much for anthrax - for the first time, I was truly terrified. Only time will tell what the situation truly is, but that's another 255 lives and who knows how many people on the ground, given that it crashed in a heavily residential area? At any rate, I'm hoping to hear from Bryan very soon.

No comments: