Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Link dump

Lots of good stuff out there, so I thought I'd just point all of y'all to where it's at:

  • These comments by Barbara Bush took me by surprise when I read about them today. I saw the evacuees myself on Sunday and I'm pretty sure they don't think they are better off living in a shelter compared to their own homes. I always think of Mrs. Bush as grandmotherly type and not prone to 'foot in mouth' disease like her son is. I'd like to assume she didn't mean what she said in the way it came out; we'll see how all this gets white-washed in the coming days. ETA Link now fixed.

  • I said earlier I wasn't going to play the blame game, but now I'm flip-flopping on that position, thanks in part to Terry Neal's excellent questions to a variety of 'in charge' people here. As Neal's excellent analysis shows, there's plenty of blame to go around -- Democrats and Republicans -- local, state and federal governments. A massive and incomprehensible breakdown of communication, aid and planning. Also, it pains me to acknowledge Wal-Mart as an entity of good, but here's how they are helping out. I think it's significant they had more supplies waiting to truck in before FEMA did.

  • The media is now becoming part of the story. Slate has a run-down on angry reporters over here and USA Today has more on this angle over here. And if what you're hearing from officials and what you're seeing on television don't match up, CNN has a comparison.

  • Salon compares the response to last year's spat of hurricanes in Florida to the administration's response to Katrina over here. It's freaky, freaky stuff.

  • A conservative and Bush supporter on the scene gets angry over here.

No comments: