Saturday, September 03, 2005

Forecast: Flying pigs

The other day, I listened to two Bush supporters bash the president over his handling of Hurricane Katrina. It was... strange. I didn't jump on the bandwagon, deciding instead to direct my anger towards FEMA. One of the Republicans I was talking to said, "Well, Bush is FEMA." Touche, but I still refuse to play.

The blame game makes me uncomfortable. I think it's obvious New Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen and that over several decades, many people covering the entire political spectrum didn't take proper responsibility for establishing a proper evacuation route or protocols or even address the folly of living in a bowl-shaped city below sea level.

I'd rather focus my energies on helping Katrina victims get back on their feet. Whether it's my time or money, I'd rather do that than harping on what someone should have done or shouldn't have done. There so many angles, so many things to focus on, but what's important are the survivors. They need to come first.

Man. I can't believe I passed on a chance on Bush-bashing. What's the matter with me?

No comments: