Thursday, October 17, 2002

My newest internet addiction: Virtual Stock Exchange.com. Like I needed something more to keep me online. This is a competition hosted by one of my fellow classmates and I figured it was a good way to figure out how to manage my own portfolio. So far, I've been randomly picking stocks, trying to make sure I have diversity in my picks and since we're restricted to buying stocks priced at minimum of $1, I can't do my favorite thing of buying a stock at 20 cents and selling at 25 cents. That's a sure way to make a little bit of money. Anyway, very addicted. We were given $1 million to play with and I've been very cautious about buying stocks in bulk at the moment. I did buy Dell, which wasn't the smartest move, but I figure I'm looking just for a short term gain and then I'd sell it off. Unfortunately, I didn't buy IBM yesterday and so I missed the 10 percent gain that happened this morning, but I did rectify that immediately as soon as the market opened this morning. So now I have IBM in my portfolio, along with 19 other companies - 17 of which I've never heard of before.

No comments: