Sunday, March 06, 2005

A question of stone tablets

The Supreme Court is currently hearing the case on whether the Ten Commandments can be displayed in public/govermental buildings. I don't *like* the idea of Ten Commandments codified on governmental property, but I don't necessarily *mind* it. What I do mind is the inherent idea that one religious tradition is better than others, that there is only one way to God, and that everyone *must* fall in line behind Christian theology, which leads to my main objection to religion public areas. It seems to me such displays are meant for Christianity and the promotion of that religion alone; no other religions can or will be tolerated.

I'm all for the Ten Commandments on display if equal space and weight can be given to the Koran, the Gita, and the Talmud. I'm all for prayer in public space if Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and Catholics are allowed to have their voices and religious traditions heard. If that happens -- and I'm certainly not holding my breath! -- then sign me up as a supporter of public display of the Ten Commandments. Until then, I'm going to have to be a firm supporter of the separation of church and state.

Links of the day were kindly provided by Liz Logan. The Ten Commandments and the legal tradition and who knew there were so many different versions of the Ten Commandments?

No comments: