Monday, September 13, 2004

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I can't remember if I've blogged the cost of war calculator or not, but even if I haven't, it's a good reminder of what Iraq is actually costing not only the country, but also broken down by state and community. Another thing I learned over the weekend was apparently the Taliban are back in Southeastern Afghanistan and are still putting up heavy resistance. It's even a toss-up over whether the Taliban will wreck havoc on the upcoming elections. I dunno about you, but why head into Iraq when we haven't finished the job in Afghanistan?

I had no idea -- my first clue came from this article from the Asia Times. After googling for quite a bit, I came up with not a lot in the American media, but plenty from the foreign press. Are we not actually supposed to realize the war in Afghanistan is far from over? That we're actually engaged in not one, but two excercises in nation-building? It boggles my mind. Talk about the ultimate flip-flop -- George W. Bush wanted nothing to do with nation-building and yet here he is, going at two nations once. Just something more to think about. You can't paint John Kerry as a flip-flopper without smearing W with the same brush. But don't take it from me. Read here about what might be if we hadn't gone into Iraq.

No comments: