Sunday, February 08, 2004

So I've pretty much got this layout the way I want it, or rather, as much as I'm willing to fight the CSS. At some point, I'm going to start gradually redoing my site in CSS. The site design and colors won't change too much -- from a branding point of view, too much change isn't a good thing, especially when there isn't anything too significantly wrong with the current image (or so jemima tells me).

Ideally, what I'm planning to do is streamline navigation even more than it already is. Currently, my goal is to have every index page reachable within 3 clicks of any other page. I'd like to cut that down to two, but I haven't figured out a way to do it yet. When I worked for Very Big Insurance Company, I used DHTML to create drop-down menu trees but in the wide untamed crazy world of the web, I'm not sure I want to do that; too many opportunities for browsers to break -- plus it is akin to mystery meat navigation; at Very Big Insurance Company, people were like, "I have to click on the + sign? Why?"

The current overall navigation of the site, however, I think, is very clean. Not a lot of images, so things move quickly. I'm still on dial-up so I design for dial-up. So keeping javascript and images to a minimum is also pretty important.

Yes, so in other words? Haven't a clue, only know that I'm going to do something.

No comments: