Thursday, February 27, 2003

I was able to witness southern behavior once again through the eyes of my friend. She was amazed at some of the things - how doors were constantly being held open, how everyone addressed us as "ma'am," how friendly everyone in the stores was. She was really impressed - slightly freaked - but impressed. I was thinking of that this morning when I got on the bus. It was the 8:50 am bus, so pretty crowded but I managed to get a seat (the last time I was on this bus, I had to stand and actually fell when the bus turned a corner, as my grip on the pole was weakened by someone leaning against my arm. I have a nice black and blue bruise on the back of my shin from that). Anyway, my bus stop is the second to last stop from campus, so on the last stop before campus, more people got on. About six or seven guys stood up from their seats and immediately moved into the aisle so that the women could sit. I've seen that so many times - unless the bus is very empty, most of the guys don't sit unless the women have.

No comments: