Tuesday, February 04, 2003

I just sent a follow-up email for the interview I had in December. I still haven't heard back from the company, so I figured that I have nothing to lose. I want to remind them that I am interested in the job - my friend who got laid off about 18 months ago and found a job less than 3 months later, said that she followed up extensively with everyone. My problem is that I'm not a 'nagger.' That's not the right word, but I hate bothering anyone to do anything and I invariably get tongue-tied when I get on the phone to get after someone (though, when I was working, I managed to get through most of my 'confrontation' type things with minimal stress). I had a meeting with the director of the GBCS - rumor has it that he's been given 3 months to turn the results around. He asked me what he could do to help me find a job and I really had no idea. It was really pathetic.

I talked to Dr. P outside of the business school yesterday. He apparently let class out early (so we get out early on Wednesday as well, yes!) about my terrible negotiation. I asked him about having extra practice or tips on how to stop the downward slide. He told me it was okay to say 'no.' He said, "Just practice saying 'no', but make sure you're saying 'no' for the right reasons." Apparently my personality profile is "people pleaser" which means I just want everyone except for me to be happy. Which is possibly one of the reasons why I'm such an ungood negoatiator.

The parentals have reached safely. It's weird not having them here. I probably won't realize that they're out of the country until Thursday night at 10 pm, which is when I usually call them. I'm going to have to find someone else to call at 10 pm on Thursday night. It'll be very weird not to be on the phone at that time.

No comments: