Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Our current Supreme Court make-up scares the heck out of me. Of course, it's not something we think about everyday. Heck, I didn't even think about it until today's ruling re anti-abortion protests. Granted, they looked at an interpretation of the anti-racketeering law, which in theory makes sense to me. If you don't fall under the definition of the law then you can't possibly be convicted of it. So, yes, disappointed I am, but I'm no legal scholar re this particular point of law. But to me, it's dismaying that the right to choose is being eroded over time and I can only see more problems in the future if we don't take more notice. If this issue means something to you, then the next election should mean a lot to you as well.

And I'd like to clarify here, for the record, that the right to choose does not mean that one is pro-abortion. Abortion takes life - I understand this. I'm not, in anyway, an advocate of the practice and I am personally opposed to abortion. What I do support, however, is the right for women, for men, for families, to make the right choices for them. I do not believe that either state or federal governments or Joe Bob down the road has any right to tell me what I can and cannot do when it comes to my body. Nor do I feel that I have the right to tell Joe Bob what he can do with his body.

Mind you, this stance is a belief, not an opinion. As such, I'm unlikely to change my views on this subject.

No comments: