Thursday, November 07, 2002

Joined another mailing list - just in time for the liberal bashing. Yup, love that. I get it in RL, I get it in my online life. One can only keep quiet for so long before one feels like screaming, y'know? I feel like I ought to wear a sign or something - "I'm not a bad person just because I'm a liberal" or for my particular neck of the woods, "I'm not an immoral person just because I vote liberal and I'm not a terrible person who's going to eat your child for breakfast just because I admire Hilary Clinton."

Anyway, if this political discussion continues much longer, I may have to unsub from the list - which is rather a shame because I jumped through hoops to get on it and I was really looking forward to what it had to offer in terms of writing and the wealth of experience on the list. There are some wonderful people whom I'd like to get to know better, but the recent discussions make me want to bail already.

Some people would jump right in there and want to offer a defense for the liberal perspective, but the truth is, I don't want to argue - I hate confrontation of any kind. I don't have any desire to change anyone else's mind or their feelings about other issues and I certainly don't want to listen/read to someone who is trying to change my mind. Is that really too much to ask?

No comments: