Saturday, July 02, 2005

Shout out

I have SO much to talk about, starting from my reaction to W's speech (which I was going to post on Thursday evening if it hadn't been for my ISP's decision to suddenly CONSOLDIATE without telling anyone) and then my reaction to O'Connor's decision to retire (YIKES!), and then the All-American women's final at Wimbeldon which just completely rocked in every way and since I love underdog stories, it was SO much fun to watch two underdogs play some awesome, awesome tennis. Congrats to both Lindsey Davenport and Venus Williams for giving us a three-hour slug fest, three sets, with a 9-7 (Williams) score in the third set. Now that is how a championship should be played.

But mostly, I just want to know what's up with people STILL thinking all these year's that Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA is a patriotic song. Poor Bruce. He writes a song about a guy going to Vietnam and just having a hard time, but he sings the words SO incoherently, all anyone can understand are the lyrics 'Born in the USA'. The upbeat tune doesn't help either; if you can't understand anything but 'Born in the USA' set to an really rocking tune, then it's not so complicated to understand why Ronald Reagan used the song for campaigning purposes. But still, Local Radio Station (tm), knock it off your 'Patriotic Weekend' playlist.

No comments: