Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Vote for me, my name is Luke

I had good bus karma today. I walked out of my apartment and boom, there was a bus. I didn't even have time to check my mailbox (which is usually what I do when I'm waiting). And then, I waited maybe thirty seconds for bus number two. Though I didn't mind the wait because today is a lovely day. Buses always come on time on beautiful days; they're only late when it's unusually bone-chillingly miserable and wet out. So I got to school pretty quickly, though I wasn't quite sure I'd make it at first -- bus driver number two was more intent on changing the radio station and being horribly afraid of taking left turns that I was sure I was going to be stuck on that intersection forever and ever.

Anyway, it's election season here at the U. Who knew? I mean, seriously, I didn't. I had to swing by the campus center to pick up my cap and gown and order my hood (which I still don't know what that is) and on the way in, I had to pass a gauntlet of perky undergrads handing out colorful leaflets and mints. They all looked so nice and friendly and all I could think was, "I'm on a schedule and you're in my way." Yes, I'm a horrible, horrible, insensitive, uncivic minded person.

There are two major events going on here - one is for yell leader (we don't have cheerleaders) and the other is for student body president or the student body or whatever. I didn't know we had a student body organization. If it doesn't appear on the MBA-FYI list or the MBA-03 one, I'm not particularly interested. Heck, I'm not particularly in most of the things that usually show up on either of those lists sooo...

But anyway, all of these kids are standing around, trying to convince me in the 30 seconds between the time I see them and then pass them why I should vote for their Candidate of Choice. These are real productions. They have t-shirts emblazoned with the name of their candidiates, they have posters, they have chants, they have Rice Krispy treats. One girl was pulling around a little wagon with a cardboard cutout of her candidate on it. They all smiled, told me it was so nice to meet me and would I vote for them? At this point, I've promised to vote for five people. I think there's something not legal about that, but I can never say no to people who ask.

And besides, I'm graduating in five weeks. I'll be long gone before any funny business is discovered.

No comments: