Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Odds and Ends

I've been wait-listed at the Masters of International Affairs program. Which is both and good. I'm rather disappointed that I didn't just get in, but at the same time I understood the odds - there were 100 applicants, 45 of us made the second cut, where we got to hang out at the school for two days, all expenses paid, and they told us that just 20 of us would be admitted into the program. So, I'm on the waiting list for the International Economics track.

It was a back-up plan and not the end all and be all, and I'm not necessarily sure I want to spend another 2 years studying. So maybe this is the best thing. Maybe it's the best way to assuage my guilt over potentially taking a spot in the class from someone who wants it a lot more than I do. Of course, this doesn't mean I won't get in. I was wait-listed at the University of Virginia almost 8 years ago, and a week or two later, they called to say that I was officially "in." (One day, I'm going to have to share my UVA story with all of y'all).

Watch this space. I'll keep you informed.

In other news, I had a nightmare. I dreamed that I called a high school friend and I said something and she hung up on me. And I woke up this morning with a headache and a pounding heart. I really hate that I still have this dream and I really can't believe that after ten years, I'm still thinking about these people and trying to make amends for something that was never my fault. When Lynn was here a couple weeks ago, she was like, "Let it go already," but she also understood that it was really hard. After all, Lynn had her own issues with these individuals that took years to resolve and my relationship with them was even closer than Lynn's.

The headache could always be for another reason. I was also fretting about Iraq and this blog last night. Like, composing an opinion on Iraq in my sleep. How crazy is that? For some reason, I kept editing/writing in my sleep and occasionally yelling at Blogger.

I'm getting job advice from Sarah on AIM. Sarah was laid-off a couple years ago when things started to go sour in the Big City to the West and she was out of work for about 4 months. She pounded the pavement pretty hard and so I've been looking to her for some hints and tips on what to do. She just told me to give up on the company in the Big City to the East, because face it - the interview was in December and by now, the company has already hired someone or isn't hiring or whatever. It's a hard pill to swallow, but Sarah's right. So, next search...

So, anyone want to hire me?

No comments: