Wednesday, January 29, 2003

This and That

I have my "Why I prefer het to slash" manifesto written up but LJ and I are not on clicking terms as of late and I despair of it ever letting me update. But perhaps it's LJ's friendly way of preventing flame wars? "Only 404 errors can stop flame wars." Yup, that must be it.

In other news, the GAO finally found my cheque. Grrr. So everything is good now. Except I'm very tempted to write a letter and negotiate my application fee back based on the transcript below. I really should have gotten that woman's name - maybe I'll call again. But with my luck, Pollyanna will be on the phone and everything will be just fine, mah dear. Things always work out that way.

My negotiation today was less than stellar. I got taken. At least I tried to be a good sport about it. My opponent gloated and I made jokes. My friends were supportive. After all, this is why I'm in the class, yes? To learn? And I learned a lot today. Somehow, I never have learned the value of saying 'no.' I've not learned to be firm and stay firm. I blame it on flakiness, but I hate confrontation and when push comes to shove, I'd rather have the other person be happy. My saving grace is that at least I didn't pay over the reservation point like someone in another section did. I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I have a feeling this is a class that will have much practical application in the future.

The Career Services Office called me. Apparently the dean has given them 3 months to turn it around so now the career people want to interview every MBA to find out what we're thinking. I'm graduating in May. Does it sound a bit bitter if I say that they should have talked to us a year ago? I did start getting to know S, but she left in December for another job in DC. So all of that work went to waste. We'll see how Monday's meeting go.

I'm just really tired right now. I had a great workout at the gym today. The negotiation made me mad. Not mad at my opponent - she did good - but me, for having had her where I wanted her to be and then giving in. So I had a lot of energy and it all get spent at the gym. I love that feeling, when all my muscles are just so tired but so very relaxed. It makes falling into bed that much easier.

I got an email from L. today. She has booked her ticket. She will be here in February. I can't believe it. I haven't seen her since 1998. She's only coming for 2 days. It's a long way to fly - all from Vermont here - just for 2 days, but that's what she has time for. Doesn't matter. I'm just thrilled she's coming. It's really brightened the last few days as it's been rather depressing in these here parts. Her phone call on Saturday saying she was coming was the best thing ever.

No comments: