Thursday, January 16, 2003

My 'rerun' team (minus one) got blindsided today in class. We're missing A - she isn't taking a marketing class this semester, but the rest of us from last semester's marketing team are in the class together so we agreed to work as a team again this semester - we did quite well last semester as a group. We needed a fourth person for our team, but we really hadn't talked about it much - it was one of those 'non priority items, we'll discuss as the project proposal deadline gets closer' type thing. So I wasn't even really thinking about it when J asked me this morning if I had my team set and I said, I thought so but I needed to talk to the others before I could tell her whether we were set or not. I said very clearly, "I'll get back to you."

I have issues with J. I've never worked with her before but I've heard rumors and stories and she isn't known as a team-player in the program. In fact, I believe her first semester team last year disintegrated because of conflict between her and another team member. So I was trying to get to the other two to talk to them, but got pulled into a conversation with another classmate and so before I knew it, J was asking another one of my teammates re our team status. He said the same thing I had said. Then, as class was ending, she asked the third person on our team. At that point, there wasn't anything that could be said really since none of us had a chance to talk to the other about incorporating J on our team, but we also didn't have a good enough reason to say no to her (other than the obvious "Eh, we're not so sure you play nice."). So at the end of class, we suddenly were a team of four - and one of my teammates has worked with J before and he isn't optimistic. At least the three of us have worked together before and gotten along, so perhaps it will be a different dyanmic and not as scary as I think it might be.

No comments: