Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A trip down memory lane

When I was driving back on Sunday, I found an old tape from the early 90s. When I was in high school, I used to tape hours of radio on end and I got a kick out of listening to the scratchy quality, and of course, the DJs whom I'd adored so fervently when I was a wee one. A few of the songs on the tape I remembered as they are classics -- "We Are The World", "Physical," "Eye of the Tiger" -- but then there were other songs I barely remembered by one-hit wonders. Yet, I'm sure, when I was 12 or 13, I thought these guys were the best and I would never, ever forget them. Those were the days, natch, when the radio was pretty much surgically attached to my ear.

Who knew, more than a decade later, I wouldn't be able to remember the last time I listened to the radio?

I also found a mix tape I made for my aunt years ago. I never gave her the tape -- Real Life (tm) interfered in ways I would have never imagined and so the tape is still in my possession. I was listening to it tonight on my way to meet a friend for dinner. Some of the songs on that tape are still among my favorites, including Billy Joel's "Goodnight Saigon." I also had taped my 'relaxation' song, the one I listened to before any big test in college -- Everything's Alright from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar." Of course my version is the one sung by Sarah Brightman.

Try not to get worried, try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you, oh.
Don't you know
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
And we want you to sleep well tonight.
Let the world turn without you tonight.
If we try, we'll get by, so forget all about us tonight

No comments: