Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Cutting clutter

I get about 2 to 3 credit card offers a day, and most of them are filled out with everything except my signature, which can be an issue when it comes to protecting yourself from identity theft. I usually shred any applications I get before throwing them away. Until today, I had no idea that the credit bureaus are in the business of selling information to the credit card companies and that's how you end up with those 80 gazillion applications.

If you want out, like I did, you can go here and opt-out from all credit reporting agencies at once or you can call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (888-567-8688). The other option is to snail mail each credit agency -- TransUnion, Equifax, Experian and Innovis -- separately.

I'm also slightly amused at reports that Choicepoint is now going to tighten security. Isn't that a little like shutting the gate after the cows have wandered out?

No comments: