Friday, February 18, 2005

Things I should talk about

I made a list today of all the things I should blog about if I wanted to be a 'power' blogger and so to spare everyone statistics and propaganda, I hereby give you the Cliff Notes version of what I'd say on major issues. Some of this is redundant, but I'm nothing if not redundant.


  • Social Security reform -- Neither social nor secure, discuss. In a nutshell: it's not as broke as the Bush Administration would like to believe, but not as solvent as the Democrats would like us to think. My take: raise the cap on payroll taxes, increase retirement age, cut some benefits and start personal accounts for those under 55.

  • Internet trolls -- Go away already. Sheesh.

  • "Without A Trace" -- Are you watching this show? You should be watching this show. If you take away NOTHING else from this blog, take this.

  • Bloggers and the media -- Bloggers are not journalists. Nope, nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Stop pretending they are.

  • Abortion -- There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that an embryo has value, that it is a baby and can feel pain. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that this is a difficult moral decision for many people. There is nothing wrong in acknowleding that abortion should be rare but safe. That being said, America, I don't want you picking out my socks for me; I certainly don't want you to tell me what I can or cannot do with my body. Get out of my uterus already.

  • The Amazing Race -- Best. Reality. Show. Ever. I'm not happy about Rob and Amber (from "Survivor: All Stars") on this next edition, but I shall get a fiendish glee out of seeing them getting booted (and I may scream if they win the $1 million prize).

  • The War in Iraq -- Nothing will ever persuade me this was a Good Idea (tm). Spin it any way you want, and even if a purple-fingered Iraqi woman hugs me, I'm still not going to think it was a good idea.

  • Margaritas -- Still. Totally. Rock.

  • Gay marriage -- It's not fair to blame people who can't get married on the deterioration of marriage in this country. If you want to talk about people who shouldn't be married, take a look at J.Lo or Britney Spears. Good grief. Take away THEIR right to get married already.

  • Enterprise -- I'm not sad that there won't be Trek on television next year; I am sad that Enterprise is getting the heave-ho just when it's getting really good and I'm starting to recognize the show I love.

No comments: