Tuesday, October 30, 2001

Fun with Babelfish:

The below paragraph is from my short story, A Divorce in the Family:

It seems that if one retires to the country in search of peace and quiet, one will be disturbed. This universal truth was revealed to me when I made my way back to my hometown along the shores of Lake Champlain.

I had settled on a small house, perfectly secluded from the road by a fence of trees, and in walking distance of a narrow strip of beach. Few cars passed my stretch of the Vermont landscape and the air was clean and fresh. I saw few people and talked only to the disinterested paperboy who dropped off the newspaper later and later each day.

I then ran it through Babelfish to translate it into French and then from French into German and finally from German, back into English. Here are the results.

It seems that, if one withdraws oneself at the country on the search for the peace and for the quiet one is disturbed. This universal truth was indicated at me, if I mean way in my birth city along the banks of the Champlain lake made again. I had locked the account on a small house decreased/gone back perfectly by the road by a barrier of the trees and in the distance of the flow of a close beach tape. Few motor vehicles changed over my even end of the horizontal of Vermontn, and air was clean and fresh. I saw few people and have only with disinterested paperboy spoke, except newspaper released later and later to each day.

Amusing, huh? I'm toying with running my own gibberish through Babelfish to find out how close I got (various tense issues aside) to what I meant to say.

No comments: