Sunday, May 01, 2005

Auto for the people

As I said earlier, I'm taking an auto class, and it seems I've gotten in over my head. I'm not particularly interested in replacing my own shocks and struts, but I do appreciate knowing the difference between a brake shoe and a brake pad. What ideally I'd like to see in an auto class is the following:

* What repairs ought to happen when -- ie will my water pump automatically die at 60,000 miles or is that just an urban legend?
* What parts look like and where they are located on a vehicle
* What repairs are "Must do NOW, do not pass go, do not collect $200 -- do it NOW"
* How to diagnosis general complaints without automatically deferring to the mechanic
* How much approximately a repair ought to cost
* Trusted mechanics in the area
* Mechanics in the area who must be avoided at all costs

Incidentally, the instructor of the class noted that if you can't get to the oil filter easily, you probably shouldn't buy that car. I think that's good advice if you're planning on spending a Saturday afternoon changing your oil; for the rest of us, I think a course in the above would be a lot more helpful.

No comments: