Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Off limits

Florida Girl* said the other day she would be uncomfortable reading this blog, because she said she would rather hear news from me in person. I tried to tell her this isn't that kind of blog. I don't actually announce anything here -- well, I should probably tell you that I've been sitting around for the last five days because I'm on vacation and I'm on vacation because I have a new job, so no more Blimpkind stories for you!

I started blogging back in 2001, when blogging wasn't cool yet. I tried it because my brother said, "Oooh, new! Shiny!" And I thought, "Hmmm, maybe I do have something to say." Some days, I have nothing to say. I think you know when those days happen. Since I started blogging, the content has changed. I used to blissfully blog about co-workers, friends, things that were happening in my RL -- I don't do that so much anymore. I've learned, over the years, some things just shouldn't be pixelly immortalized, not without a written and signed waiver.

Things you will never read about in this blog:

  • Specific details about where I live. Some of the 'net savvy have probably already figured out this site's billing address; I don't live there. Just so you know.
  • Details about family, unless they specifically figure into a cooking disaster. In which case, it's all good.
  • Work. Not a good idea to blog about work in excruciating detail, however tempting it might be. My co-workers might seem like characters out of a novel, but they are real people with feelings and if news of the bloggity ever got out, well, I'd be in a world of hurt and potentially unemployed too.
  • Personal issues. You're not going to hear about doctor's visits here, or anything else that could be classified as TMI. If I don't know you in RL or consider you a close online friend, the laundry stays off the web. You never know when this stuff came back to bite you in the rear.


I admire people who can be completely open in what they blog about. They seem to have real personality, lives that are a lot more exciting than mine because they always have something to write about. Because there are subjects and people off-limits in this here blog, unfortunately, I may have to subject you to a never-ending litany of when eggs and pancakes go bad, as well as the continuing adventures in IKEA.

* Florida Girl wanted a mention in the blog. I should say, as a caveat to all this, if the subject willingly and readily agrees to be immortalized here, it's all good. But in general, no no no.

No comments: