Sunday, June 13, 2004

What's for dinner?

A better question would be, what's not for dinner? With 4+ hours suddenly erased from my week due to my class starting up this week, I dragged myself to the grocery store in preparation. Mind you, I'm still infected with the plague and muscles I didn't know I had are screaming in agony. But a girl has to eat, so off to the grocery store I went and when I came back, I made the following items:

  • Marinated mushrooms
  • Oriental green beans
  • Gazpacho soup
  • Feta cheese and potato patties
  • Red onion and goat cheese pastries
  • Tomato & Mozarella pasta

I had also planned to make an apple pie and red onion and pepper fusilli but I ran out of steam at that point. I won't be back home until close to 10 pm tomorrow night, and given that I'm still infected with the plague, I probably won't get around to the fusilli and the pie until Tuesday night. It really depends on how the other things I made hold up -- if I can get to Thursday without running out of food, I'll be very, very happy.

If any of you would like the recipes for any of the above, please let me know and I'll post them -- am too tired to blog them now -- but the soup and the mushrooms are both served cold and are perfect for hot weather. For the pasta, the tomato and mozarella 'sauce' can be made ahead of time and can be marinated -- just mix it in with the pasta hot off the stove whenever you like. The red onion and goat cheese pastries are super easy and super light and super tasty -- phyllo dough is the bestest substance on the planet, I've decided.

Gazpacho is an acquired taste, and I like mine pretty well pureed, but my blender refused to work today, so instead it was rather chunky -- still, it's perfect for a hot summer. I had the most trouble with the potato patties because I steamed the green beans over the same pot I was boiling the potatoes in -- except I didn't let the potatoes boil long enough, so I ended up having to microwave the potatoes to soften them up and then mashed them with my fingers; the leftover goat cheese went into the potatoes as well as the feta, but it all seems to have worked out just fine.

And now, for the second time this week, it's bed before 10 pm. Though, still later than last week, when I hit the sack around 8:15. Now that's early. And on that note, good night, moon.

No comments: