Friday, May 17, 2002

Thanks to lovely and clever people, we have figured out how to convert the keyboards from en francais to en anglais. So, here is my travel journal of sorts.

I'm in Nice, France, on the French Riviera. I think Italy is nearby - no, I know Italy is not too far from here - the influence is very obvious. This is some of the best Italian food I've had in years, and yes, we have been eating a lot. I love the pizza - it's New York style, or rather, it's 'real' pizza, with a thin, crispy crust and a very fresh, light tomato sauce and le fromage, c'est tres bon! We had a wine and cheese-tasting party the other night - twelve different kinds of cheeses and three different kinds of wine. It was really, well, a treat for the palette. I now know that Baby Bel is not the best that France has to offer in terms of cheese.

Today, some of us went out to lie on the beach during our lunch hour. The beaches here, btw, are not sand, but rather rock. The water is absolutely gorgeous - a lovely aquamarine near the shore and darker as you go out. The horizon is endless and the weather has been perfect. Last night, we walked alone le promenande des anglais and it was absolutely perfect weather and view. Imagine the lights against the darkness of the night sky in a half- moon shape. Beautiful.

We have been having interesting experiences with bus travel here. They are quite mad, these bus drivers. Yesterday, we rode the Bus of Death and then saw the Tour Bus of Death - they seem to have no regard for ancient streets which are narrow to begin with and then have double-parked cars on both sides. And here goes the bus, all crazy down the street. I thought I was going to fall out of my seat with the violence that the bus driver inflicted on us.

My French is improving rapidly. I was able to carry on a full conversation with a street painter yesterday and obtain directions to his gallerie in St Paul-Vence. So I'm very pleased. Of course, this means I am constantly translating and speaking for the group and as a result, my English sometimes gets a little mixed up - funny how that happens in just the span of two weeks. Of course, it didn't help that we were talking roundabout when we were trying to figure out how to type on these keyboards.

We're going to Monaco on Saturday and Corsica for Sunday and Monday. Tuesday, back in boring old Nice ;-) I'll be sure to tell you how those trips go. a bientot!

No comments: