Wednesday, September 19, 2001

What is it about the internet that makes people so dang rude? I don't mean to generalize - it's really just a few people out of many - but my goodness. Maybe it's the relative anonymity of the medium. You can call yourself whatever the heck you want and because there isn't a face to face encounter, it's easier to be cutting and hurtful. And given that there are lurkers everywhere reading everything, it's possible to hurt someone's feelings very deeply without even knowing it. Or maybe that's the intention. I don't know. Must feel pretty cool to slam people, I suppose.

I won't go into specifics, but there are certain people I just want to throttle or post a "Go away already, you waste of bandwidth you" message. It also occurs to me that continuously slamming people for whatever reason gets you nowhere, especially if it's a slam with no reason whatsoever behind it. Then the slam just sounds petty, jealous and ignorant - pretty ironic considering the flamer was probably thinking they were oh so smart. I also have little patience for trolls who can't spell or use punctuation. Dang it, no one is going to take you seriously if you can't even spell. I've kept my quiet so far, but I'm really quite stunned by how rude and ignorant some people can be. One of these days, you know I'm just going to have to say something, but until then, thank goodness for the Onslow Forum! I think I'm going to go cool my heels there now...

No comments: