Thursday, August 09, 2001

Numbers, numbers...

For fun, I counted things yesterday. For instance, in my 15 mile trek home from work, there are 15 traffic lights. Fifteen! The first 13 of those lights are in the first five miles of my trip, 4 of them being on a 1-mile stretch of road. And the last two traffic lights are in the last 5 miles of my trip. The best part of the trip, however, are the middle five miles - a nice, winding, two-lane road along a creek bed, with large trees (yes, trees!) and the occasional deer (which I have *almost* hit on occasion). So anyway, I thought that was a profound number - 13 lights in 5 miles. I can tell you when I first started working here 3 years ago, 6 of those lights were not there.

I also counted lights on my way to work today (different way - I like variety in travel) and there are 13 lights on the way to work. The first four lights show up in the first 5 miles of the trip and the rest are pretty evenly spread out, except for the last 4, which are in the last one mile of the way. The last one mile takes almost as much time as the first 5 miles.

In other numbers...

Eight - that's how many people I *don't* know who have sent me the Sir Cam virus. It actually kind of perturbs me that people I don't know have me in their address book. What's up with that? Somebody who calls himself the "Body Shop" sent me the virus *twice* yesterday. You know, I never even got a copy of the "I love you" virus. I'm almost disgruntled over that. I'd rather have an email with a subject that says "I love you" then "Sending you this file for your advice" (or whatever it says since it evolves in every incarnation).

I have 39 spam messages sitting in my bulk folder on Yahoo!. I'd delete them but that would mean either a) opening each one and deleting them individually (a pain on a 14.4 connection) or b) turning on javascript (hell on an ancient version of Netscape). I'm still fiddling with the idea of creating a website to showcase my favorite spam messages. We'll see. I think getting a new computer will have to take precedence over any random websites I feel like designing (though I did create a new site, which will be unveiled one of these days...)

No comments: