Wednesday, July 20, 2005

As the press turns

I'm about 400 pages into Harry Potter, but while I've been reading like a mad woman, Stuff (tm) has been happening in the world, apparently. I hear Karl Rove got kicked off the front pages because the President has nominated John Roberts to the Supreme Court. I don't actually have an opinion on Roberts yet, because I don't know enough about him to form one. I do admit to not understanding what "legislating from the bench" or "activist judge" means; those phrases are starting to grate on me, much the same way as "weapons of mass destruction" and "war on terror" do; begone from the lexicon already!

Also, at dinner tonight, my attention kept getting drawn to the flat screen television mounted above the diners. It was tuned to ABC, and "Brat Camp" came on and I got a kick out of the labels slapped onto each of the kids: 'Angry Punk' 'Self-Destructive Teen', 'Steals from Mom'. I was greatly amused, but no one else seemed to share my amusement. They were too busy outing me as a liberal Democrat (I 'fessed as my undergrad alma mater pretty much blows my cover), but then they pronounced me "good people anyway." By that pronouncement, there is more than one of me. Now tell me, what is scarier than two Seemas? Not much, I don't think.

No comments: